The Chef’s Recipe: Alsatian Christmas Shortbreads
Schwowebredele: Alsatian Shortbreads
Bake the Chef's Christmas shortbreads to delight your loved ones!
Ingredients (makes 40 pieces):
• 200 g flour
• 75 g butter
• 1 egg
• 125 g caster sugar
• 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp gingerbread spice mix
• 60 g almond or hazelnut powder
• 1 sachet of vanilla sugar (UK and US: 1-2 tsp of vanilla extract)
• 1 sachet of baking powder (4 g)
• ½ lemon (juice and zest)
• Egg Wash: 1 tsp milk + 3 egg yolks
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined.
Roll out the dough thinly, then let it rest for 1 hour.
While the dough is resting, preheat oven to 180-200 °C.
Use a cookie cutter for shapes (you can use as many as you like)
Place shortbreads apart on a lined baking sheet.
Mix the milk with the egg yolks and brush the top of each shortbread.
Bake for 10 minutes at 180-200°C.